|5:30 PM||Kids Classes
5:15 – 8:00
5:15 – 8:00
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Classes
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a grappling martial art that originated over 60 years ago.
Through trial and error the Brazilians have developed a very simple yet very intricate theory & strategy for approaching self-defense, sportive grappling and mixed martial arts competition. This strategy employs a variety of techniques including throws & takedowns, pins/control positions, and submission holds such as chokes and joint locks. Practicing these techniques through the use of specialized training methods allow a smaller person to develop the skills & attributes to systematically control and defeat a larger opponent.
A typical Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class can be broken up into three parts:
Warm Up Session: A 20-30 minute warm up which consists of BJJ related exercises, drills and games to help build physical attributes such as flexibility, strength, timing, balance, cardiovascular endurance and sensitivity as well as helping prepare the students body for the technique and sparring portions of the class.
Technique Session: The technical part of the class will teach the student submissions, positional dominance, escapes and combination movements. The student has the chance to practice these techniques in repetition with a partner. In the class we also go over strategy and theory when using the techniques against resisting opponents of different size and strength.
Sparring Session: Sparring is a key element in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class; It is essentially why Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu became as popular as it is today because of it’s realistic training methods where you can spar against a resisting opponent and truly learn how well your skills are progressing and what techniques work and which ones don’t. We do several rounds of grappling sparring during a class to provide the student with the real life experience to prepare them for either competition or self-defense.
What will I learn?
- We will work on our attributes such as coordination, balance, strength and physical fitness.
- We will do drills and games that relate to the techniques and movements in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ).
- We will learn BJJ techniques for sport and self-defense including takedowns and throws as well as offensive and defensive ground grappling.
- We will learn to listen to instruction, concentrate and focus, respect other students, work as a team and cooperate with training partners.
- We will learn to respect our coaches, parents, teachers, ourselves, and all those in authority over us as well as those who aren’t.
- We will learn self-confidence and a healthy respect for ourselves and others.
- We will learn to set goals and achieve them.
What is expected?
- Students need to arrive at class on time, ready to line up in their uniform by 5:30pm.
- To be healthy (don’t train while sick or with any skin infections that may be contagious).
- Respect the instructors before, during and after classes by listening to instruction and staying focused.
- Be a team player. We are a team and everyone needs to feel like this is a safe and fun place for them to learn.
- Consistent attendance. Students are expected to attend both classes each week unless they are sick or away.
What do I wear?
- A gi is required for these classes but until you have a gi, please wear gym shorts or fight shorts and a t-shirt.
- We train barefoot, so no socks or shoes on the mats.
- Because of the nature of the sport, please keep fingernails and toenails short, keep yourself and your gi or outfit clean, and remove all jewelry.
What do I bring?
- Water is available from the cooler, but please bring a cup or water bottle.
- A small towel is nice to have.